Tuesday, September 9, 2008

An Interview With Nancy Viau!

Today we learn more about Nancy Viau, author of Samantha Hanson Has Rocks In Her Head. Trust me, she gives new meaning to the term "Rockhound!"


2k8: You call yourself a reluctant novelist? Why?

My book started out as a short and sweet, 10,000-word, early chapter book. My inspiration came from a family trip to the Grand Canyon, and my daughter’s curiosity and love of rocks and fossils. I have to admit to being a bit of a rockhound myself. Perhaps it was the years I lived in Colorado that gave me such an appreciation for Earth science and geology? Now, wherever I go, I seem to pick up a rock, or two, or twenty. In fact, I have little groups of rocks all over my house.





Some people like to read in all kinds of things about why I have these: Do I have feel spiritually connected to crystals? Does a certain rock hold some significance or remind me of a special time? Is a small rock part of something large and important in my life? Nah, nope, and NO. I just like finding and collecting cool ones, and I’ve been able to see how special they are through the eyes of my daughter.

Anyway, my agent thought there could be so much more to my story, and he encouraged me to expand it.. (“Can you add 20,000 words?”) I never thought of myself as a novelist, but it didn’t take long before I was hooked! A few months—and several revisions—later, it sold to Amulet Books.

****
FUN FACT:
100 years ago President Theodore Roosevelt declared the Grand Canyon to be a national monument. He said:

"The Grand Canyon fills me with awe. .... Let this great wonder of nature remain as it now is. Do nothing to mar its grandeur, sublimity and loveliness... keep it for your children, your children's children, and all who come after you, as the one great sight which every American should see."

Join Nancy in helping to protect ALL our nation’s national parks. Nancy will donate one dollar to the National Park Foundation for every different person that comments on her launch this week—Monday through Friday. And if you have any doubt of just how beautiful that Grand Canyon is, look at Nancy’s book trailer below.

8 comments:

TJ Brown said...

Fabulous interview, nancy! And good for your for giving to the National Parks.. I used to live in AZ when I was a kid and the Grand Canyon was lovely!
Teri

Anonymous said...

LUCKY you! I really can't wait to go back there one day.
-Nancy

Joan said...

I love that story - revision is the name of the game. Awesome!

Barrie said...

I've been to the Grand Canyon 3 times! Beautiful!

Love all the little piles of rocks around your house!

Fran Cannon Slayton said...

Congratulations on the book, Nancy!

nanmarino said...

I can't wait to get to see if Samantha gets to the Grand Canyon. Your book seems like so much fun. Can't wait to read it! Congratulations Nancy!

Lexi said...

Hi, Nancy! I spent 2 years living and working on the rim of the Grand Canyon. Fun times for sure!

Liviania said...

I recently drove through Arizona - I had no clue it was so forested before that.