Friday, July 4, 2008

Day 5: Nina Nelson's A Lover of Words

It's our last day with Nina Nelson for the launch of her debut novel Bringing the Boy Home and while we've gotten to know many new things about her (like that she knows where to buy bug lollies) we want to know more! So, Nina, tell us something random about you!

I love picking out cards for people. I don’t always remember special occasions, but you might very well receive a “HAPPY BIRTHDAY!” card from me any random day that says, “I have no idea when your actual birthday is, but when I saw this, I thought of you.”

Back before I considered myself a writer, I found this card:



(For those of you who can’t find your glasses: first check the top of your head and if they’re not there, I’ve re-typed the words below.)

“You are a lover of words. One day, you will write a book. People turn to you because you give voices to dreams, notice little things, and make otherwise impossible imaginings appear real. You are a rare bird who thinks the world is beautiful enough to try to figure it out, who has the courage to dive into your wild mind and go swimming there. You are someone who still believes in cloud watching, people watching, daydreaming, tomorrow, favorite colors, silver clouds, dandelions, and sorrow. Be sacred. Be cool. Be wild. Go far. Words do more than plant miracle seeds. With you writing them, they can change the world.”

Now, I’m not one for sappy sentiments; I’m always sending the cartoon-y card with the six-word punch line on the inside, but this poem struck me in the gut. After reading it, my overwhelming feeling was, “Wow. This is a great! Who can I send it to?” and then I got a little sad; I wished someone had sent me this card…(in retrospect maybe someone did…maybe that’s why I was in that Mail Depot store on that day with an extra ten minutes on my hands. Hmmm, that’s an interesting thought.)

Anyway, this past week, when I was cleaning up, I found the card taped inside one of my old journals and upon re-reading, it punched me in the gut again. But this time, I knew exactly who I was going to send it to, so…

“Lovers of Words” and readers of this blog, I’m sending this card out to you.

Imagine on the inside that I’ve written:

“Dear Lover of Words:

I don’t know when your actual birthday is, but when I saw this card, I thought of you.”

Now get off the Internet (after you’ve ordered Bringing the Boy Home from the bookstore of your choice, of course) and go write!

Be well,

Nina (N.A.) Nelson

Thank you Nina!

No, no, thank you Nina! It's been wonderful getting to know more about you and more about Bringing the Boy Home. Have a wonderful launch party and we'll be wanting a picture of you eating those bug lollies, okay?




3 comments:

Jody Feldman said...

Thanks for the card. I LOVE it. (And great launch week ... Congratulations!)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the card, Nina. It struck me in the gut, too. I love it!

Karen said...

What an amazing card -- thanks for sharing!

I also ordered your book and can't wait to read it!