Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Day 3: PJ Hoover and Her Real Life Launch Party!

My release party was a blast! You'd have thought it was a wedding. Everyone was staring at me. Except there was no big white dress and no flower girls twirling down the aisle.

So many people came out to support me. And I had awesome little pumpkins with candy corn and laminated backpack tags as party favors. See the way I'm thinking, it's much harder to throw away something laminated, especially when it already has a clip on it ready to hang on a backpack zipper.
Oops, just realized I forgot to put these on my kids' backpacks these mornings.


First and most important, Team Emerald Tablet. My son was thrilled to help set up, his specialty being stacking the water bottles.

So what to do at a release party?
First, have lots of candy for the kids. The punch was also a hit.

My awesome editor, Madeline Smoot, introduced me to the over 150 people who showed up (!).

I showed my book trailer (note - I need LOUDER speakers).
And then I gave a presentation featuring tons on pictures, PowerPoint animation (a new skill for me), a reading of the first few pages of The Emerald Tablet, and a quiz with giveaways.

Featured in the prize pumpkins were
We sold out of books and took orders for tons more!

Before the party, my books were actually on the shelf (yes, right up there with The Hunger Games and Libba Bray)!



So that’s it! I’m officially released!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Great launch. I'm thrilled for you PJ! Zu

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Zu!

Vivian Mahoney said...

P.J.,
Congratulations! You are going to have a wonderful writing career. (Not that I'm biased or anything...)

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Vivian! I'm glad you're biased!

Erin said...

Congratulations, PJ!! I'm so happy for you! :)

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Erin!

M.P. Barker said...

How cool that your bookstore has a marquee! You must feel like a movie star, having your name up there!

Can't wait to read the book!

Michele

PJ Hoover said...

I did love seeing my name there, Michele! It made me feel famous!