Thursday, May 29, 2008

Day 4: Giving Thanks Where Thanks Are Due

In getting to know Regina Scott we've learned she writes long hand on airplanes, she's walked in her character's shoes and she has an affinity for costumes, but she also has a long list of loving people she'd like to thank for helping her along the way.

My dedication is long enough that my publisher wondered if it shouldn’t be an acknowledgment instead. Either way, the book really wouldn’t have happened if each of the wonderful people I named hadn’t helped. So, here’s who had a key hand in creating LA PETITE FOUR:

To the Lord for inspiration and encouragement. I believe that the idea for a story, the ability to write, and the courage to keep writing are gifts. It’s only right to thank the Giver for them.

To my Emily and my Larry, for believing in me. It truly is merely a coincidence that my agent, Emily Sylvan Kim, and my lead character Lady Emily Southwell share the same name. But I completely agree with the song by From First to Last: “There’s no one in the world like Emily.” My husband Larry (left), on the other hand, is the wind beneath my wings. He’s become Mister Mom to our sons so I can have more time to write.

To Jessica and Lexa for working so hard. When I accepted the offer from Penguin, I got not only one fantastic editor, but two! Both of them were full of enthusiasm and ideas. It’s been a very interesting journey so far!

To the ever-supportive Kris for brainstorming, Lord Snedley, and blood pooling about decapitated bodies. Yes, really, decapitated bodies. I call Kris my critique partner because people immediately understand the relationship, but she rarely has me review anything she writes. On the other hand, nothing I write as fiction goes out the door without Kris looking at it. I trust her to find the typo on page three as well as the moment my heroine turns whiney. For LA PETITE FOUR, she outdid herself, helping me brainstorm my way out of corners, coming up with way cool supporting characters, and even supplying one of my favorite lines of all time, “Emily was trying to determine precisely how blood would pool around a decapitated body when the footman announced she had visitors.”

And to library staff everywhere, especially Marsha Bates of the Mid-Columbia Library and John Charles of the Scottsdale Public Library, who point us to books that teach, enrich, and set us to dreaming of all we can be. Where would we be without libraries and helpful librarians! Marsha spent hours helping me understand and appreciate the YA genre, giving me reading lists and a personal tour of the YA section, recommending her favorites, and explaining about industry networking opportunities. And I have been proud to associate with librarian, reviewer, and fellow author John Charles for many years. He won my heart when, as Romance Writers of America Librarian of the Year, he said from his spot on a panel on libraries, “My perfect library would be 90% Regency romances and 10% everything else.” God bless you, John! Here’s one more for your library!

We know everyone is so proud of you, Regina. Thank you for sharing those who mean so much to you.

Readers, tomorrow Regina will answer the question, "Why the Regency period?"

No comments: