Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Pigs, Goats, and a TON of BOOKS!!!



Sarah Prineas, author of The Book Thief, tends to EXAGGERATE, but she takes her bookstores pretty seriously, so we think she's on the level with this one (because her story is corroborated by the above artist's rendering):

So I grew up in Lyme, Connecticut, and about 10 minutes down Rte 156 from my parents' house is the best used bookstore in all of NewEngland.

The Book Barn consists of six buildings (some of which are sheds, really), with comfortable chairs, 13 cats, turtles, guinea pigs, goats, coffee, tea, cookies, a beautiful flower garden, and THREE HUNDRED FIFTY THOUSAND books (which is why they need six buildings).

Oh, how I love the Book Barn.

A highlight of my career will be goingto the Book Barn and finding one of my books, used, on its shelves.

Also, once my son threw up in the parking lot, but you probably don't need to know that!

4 comments:

Marissa Doyle said...

I've heard a lot about this place and have always wanted to go there, Sarah...I think a road trip might be in order.

Barrie said...

I've never heard of anything like this! I'd love to visit it!

Sarah Prineas said...

It's a really fun place!

Charlotte said...

It is a great place--and Megan Whalen Turner actually stopped there on a road trip with her family so that she could meet me and another fan....I think she liked it too.